Saturday, July 23, 2011

Red Norland potato harvest


The "All Blue" and "Yukon Gold" are still green and vibrant, but the "Red Norland" were yellowing and browning. I dug the row this morning, and I can't promise this is all of them, but if it is we got 4 big ones, 10 fist sized, and 8 little ones. This is a RoI of 7 ( I planted 3 and ended up with 24.)

Here's the post back when I planted these: http://henfieldhomestead.blogspot.com/2011/04/potato-planting-time.html

I had intended to plant beans in between the rows, but the potato beetles were already here (June 11) when I planted the beans (June 18th), so if they repelled them I'd be surprised. Fortunately, I really didn't have any problem with the potato beetles (unlike friends across town that got inundated). And, the potato stalks fell over in a strong rainstorm and suppressed the newly emerged bean stalks. So I wouldn't say that approach was worth much.

No comments:

Post a Comment