Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Harvest.

Ames was up early this morning and rather than fight him back to sleep I figured we'd hit the garden before the sun did.

We started with the last of the garlic harvest. 25 heads. These are bigger than the others. It's a variety I've grown for a few years, but I don't remember the name.

Then we moved on to the onions. The leaves had fallen over but were still green. They might have grown longer, but I was worried the bulbs might not keep due to leaf damage from falling over. Also, we are in a major dry spell, which is a good time to harvest onions. I need to water the crops next to the onions, but didn't want to get the onions wet. Anyway, we had 36 yellow and 21 red onions of respectable size. These were growing with less competition than the other patch and were much bigger.

We also pulled the last of the carrots, which were splitting. Next year I need to plant carrots in succession.

And then there were the first string beans and potatoes. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment