Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Potato planting time

Potatoes came today from High Mowing Seeds. Four friends and I shared an order of 3 bags of potatoes, Yukon Gold, Red Norland, and All Blue. That gives us about 6 potatoes each, enough for a 12 foot row - or in my case three 4-foot rows. I think we might have wished for a little more, but maybe a 12 ft row is all any of us can really dedicate to potatoes. Regardless, the split did allow us to each have 3 potato varieties, which we wouldn't have done on our own.


As recommended, mine are cut and drying in preparation for planting. I'll probably try for tomorrow, because we have rain in the forecast again starting Friday - another 4 day stretch.



I'm planning to cover these seed potatoes about 4 inches, then add more soil as the shoots grow, hoping for a deep bed of potatoes. I also plan to interplant lima beans between the potato rows. This companion planting idea might repel potato beetles. We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Lima beans, huh? I think I'll try that! My potatoes are cut and drying right now, too. Hoping to get them in the ground tomorrow or Friday.

    ReplyDelete