Sunday, October 30, 2011

Scarlet Runner Beans

This is what I got off the 5 ft row of scarlet runner beans I planted.





I just read a little more about them and found out that I could have eaten them as fresh string beans if I picked them young enough. Also that the gorgeous red flowers are edible and so is the root! The beans can be eaten fresh like lima beans, or dried as I was planning. But they are HUGE so I'm thinking it'll take forever for them to dry and even longer to rehydrate for soup, so this was probably not the best idea I ever had. Maybe I'll freeze them.

Furthermore, this bean is PERENNIAL!!! It can live and regrow for 7 YEARS! The Indians called it a magic bean.

Anyway. I'm completely sold and will probably grow more of this next year and maybe less bush bean - or maybe both. Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment