Friday, October 28, 2011

Lessons Learned: Beans and Peas

Bunny problems cut the pea harvest way back this year. I also had some trouble with germination. Next year, I'll plant fresh seed a little later. Peas came up this year on April 17th, Growing Degree Day 38. I figure I'll wait until this point next year - whenever that is - and then put the peas in the ground, pre-soaked.

I want the shelling peas for the sake of the sweet surprise inside, but the truth is, you have to grow a lot to get a dinner's worth. So we'll plant more snow peas and sugar snaps.

As far as string beans go, I'm pretty happy with a row of about 10 ft total. I'd like to try limas again, but they have to be planted as early as you can. I only got a handful this year.

I might try more pole beans next year. I had a good run with the scarlet runner beans, but they weren't good fresh, and I only had 5 ft. Maybe I'll try another variety in addition to the scarlet runner beans, one that would be good as fresh string beans or just fresh beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment