Monday, April 18, 2011

Impatient gardeners love garlic

Nothing gives me more hope than my garlic patch right now.

The wire mesh suspended over top of the patch is meant to help hold the leaves up. I thought I remembered someone saying this helped prevent damage in the head that could cause rot during storage, but now I think they were talking about onions. Anyway, it's there now, and I think I'll leave it as an experiment. Maybe I'll use it on onions next year.

Nobody walked through this patch. There are a couple rows of a variety I got at the Boalsburg Farmers Market whose leaves grow along the soil surface instead of straight up. At least at first. If I ever remember what it is I'll edit the post.



1 comment:

  1. Garlic that grows along the ground? Weird! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete