Friday, May 31, 2013

Fava beans

Apparently fava beans are magnets for aphids, often in the newest growth at the tips. I was showing off the fava beans to a friend on Wednesday when we noticed the buggers. It wasn't a horrible case, but concerning none-the-less. We found one ladybird beetle, but I was worried they wouldn't keep ahead of what looked like a serious, though nascent, issue. 

I used insecticidal soap on four plants and let the rest be, just to see the full suite of effects before dousing them all.

I'm happy to report that as of tonight the infestation seems to have lessened and I saw another ladybug tonight. The plants are looking good. I made sure to water them well through this hot spell.

The flowers are gorgeous. Black and white. Super cool.



 I planted a row of celeriac and celery alongside the favas tonight, purchased at Brush Valley greenhouse today.

No comments:

Post a Comment