Tuesday, January 29, 2013

60 degrees. January 29th

I think I'm solidly back in the land of Homesteading, and this blog should see more activity as a result.

Last week temps bottomed out in the single digits, and I actually got my act together to cover my enormous rosemary. I think it might have been enough protection to save it. Snow seemed much wetter on top of the sheet, on top of the tarp, and the rusty garden stakes I used to hold it all down tight to the ground held everything just as I wanted it.

The cold temperatures finally did in the parsley, which was still harvest-able as a fresh herb up to that point.

But today, a glorious 60 degrees! I uncovered that rosemary (but kept my system close at hand for the next cold snap). I took advantage of the soft air to prune the raspberries and level the asparagus fronds - both tasks had somehow never risen to the top of the fall to-do list. I also cut back the standing mints. Actually, I did the mint first, and enjoyed the menthol mittens while pruning the raspberries.

One week of 10 degree nights finally froze the ground. I'd say about 5 inches down. But the melt today and yesterday has pools of water all over the yard, not running off, and not able to drain through the frozen turf.

We ordered a cord of split oak over the weekend ($170). Unfortunately, the stuff isn't very dry. Today isn't helping. Despite the sizzles, the stuff can really crank out some heat and we are definitely looking forward to burning the wood instead of the oil as much as possible.

And that's January for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment