Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Lemongrass

Tonight (11 PM - gotta do it when you can) I harvested some of the strongest lemongrass stalks. You are supposed to cut the stalks that are at least 1/2 inch wide. Then I peeled off the outer leaves, but found it was a little difficult to tell when I'd pulled off enough. The options for the heart include freezing and drying. A couple things I read said you could put these hearts in a blender and then freeze the juice in ice cube trays for later use. I may try this but for now I'm going with the drying method. Although nothing I read recommended it, I think I'm going to cut the grass into 1 inch pieces and dry it like that. Then, when it's time for soup I can just take out the pieces I need.

2 comments:

  1. I've had good luck freezing it.

    ...Like a dork, I thought my lemongrass would come back in the spring. Duh. It's tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 1" pieces would be harder to fish out of soups and chilies than 3" or 4" pieces...

    ReplyDelete